Saturday, August 6, 2016

Week One, Frankenstein

Week One, Frankenstein and Mary Shelley and the Splendor of Gothic Literature

This week I decided to read Frankenstein. I was very pleasantly surprised by the book because while having always heard about it, I’d never read it. Prior to actually reading Frankenstein, I have watched Young Frankenstein, a favorite in my family, and I loved being able to now understand the subtle references in the movie. The story follows the life of Victor Frankenstein and his attempts to play God, only to find horror in his efforts.

I was really impressed by the maturity of the narrative, not only for the fact that it was written by a twenty year old. The contents of the story are unique, addressing a myriad of social issues and topics, and Shelley does this in a very interesting way. Topics are not cliche or overt but rather, webbed together into the workings of Victor’s life story and adventure. 


I think for me one of the most interesting takeaways is not about the plot itself but about the air that surrounds the novel. Specifically the fact that most people refer to the monster as Frankenstein, even though the monster’s name is not Frankenstein. That creates an irony in its relation to the story itself that I think is part of what this story really is. The monster represents parts of Victor, Victor is inside of this monster and as much as he hates that about his situation, he cannot run from it. It wasn’t even until his death that the trials they shared came to an end. Their relationship could be associated with a sort of Jekyll and Hyde duo. Still, the bond that ties these two characters together is forever, and because so many people refer to the monster as “Frankenstein,” we as the audience have trapped Victor there forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment